The subject of this treatise is Gen. xii. 1–4 and 6. This naturally falls into two divisions, of which the first contains the words of God to Abraham. This again is analysed as follows:
- I. (a) The command to depart from country, kindred and father’s house.
- (b) To the land which I will shew thee (this constitutes the first promise or gift to Abraham).
- (c) And I will make thee a great nation (Second Gift).
- (d) And I will bless thee (Third Gift).
- (e) And I will magnify thy name (Fourth Gift).
- (f) And thou shalt be blessed (Fifth Gift).
- (g) I will bless them that bless thee, and curse them that curse thee.
And in thee shall all the nations of the earth be blessed (the gifts to others through Abraham.)
- In the second part we deal successively with the statements.
- (a) He went as God spake to him.
- (b) And Lot went with him.
- (c) And Abraham was seventy-five years old, when he went forth out of Haran.
- (d) And Abraham travelled through the land to