καὶ ὅσον γένους μὲν αὐτοῖς οὐ μετεῖχεν, ἑώρα δὲ τὰς περιπλοκάς, καὶ ἔρρει δάκρυα δακρύων ἀμείνω ὧν τὰ μὲν ἦν διοικιζομένων πάλαι, τὰ δὲ συνιόντων τότε.
80. Οὕτω Γαλάτας ὁ πόλεμος καὶ διέσπασε καὶ συνήγαγεν, ὁ μὲν δειλίᾳ τῶν ἐφεστώτων, ὁ δὲ ἀνδρίᾳ πολεμηθείς. καὶ βουλευτήρια δὲ ἐπίμπλατο καὶ δῆμοι, καὶ τέχναι καὶ πόροι χρημάτων ηὔξοντο, καὶ θυγατέρων ἐκδόσεις καὶ γάμοι νέων καὶ ἀποδημίαι καὶ ἑορταὶ καὶ πανηγύρεις εἰς κόσμον τὸν ἔμπροσθεν ᾔεσαν.
81. ὥστ᾿ εἴ τις οἰκιστὴν καλοίη τῶνF 271 πόλεων ἐκείνων τὸν ἄνδρα τοῦτον οὐκ ἂν ἁμαρτάνοι. τὰς μὲν γὰρ ἤγειρεν οἰχομένας, ταῖς δὲ μικροῦ κεκενωμέναις τοὺς οἰκήτορας ἀπέσωσε καὶ τὸ μηκέτι τὸν ἴσον φοβεῖσθαι φόβον ἀπέδωκεν. οὔκουν οὐδεὶς ἔτι βαρβάρων χειμῶνος ἐπελθόντος ἐπὶ τὰς εἰωθυίας λῃστείας ἐξέπλευσεν, ἀλλ᾿ οἴκοι μένοντες τὰ R 549αὑτῶν ἤσθιον οὐκ αἰδοῖ συνθηκῶν μᾶλλον ἢ | φόβῳ πολέμου, ἐπεὶ καὶ τοῖς οὔπω σπονδῶν τετυχηκόσι τὸ προσδοκώμενον δέος ἡσυχάζειν παρῄνει.
82. Τίνα δὴ τὰ ἐπὶ τῆς ἡσυχίας; τὴν μεγίστην τῶν ὑπὸ τὸν ἥλιον νῆσον ἣν ὠκεανὸς ἔχει τοῖς λογισμοῖς ἑώρα καὶ πέμπει δὴ λογιστὰς τῆς δαπάνης ἣ τοὔνομα μὲν ἦν στρατιωτική, τῷ δὲ ἔργῷ πρόσοδος τῶν ἡγουμένων. καὶ τοὺς μὲν ταῦτα ἀδικοῦντας δικαίους ἐποίησεν, ἕτερον δὲ πολλῷ μεῖζον καὶ μάλιστα Γαλάταις σωτήριον.
connected by family ties yet saw their embraces, began to weep also, and tears flowed, tears far sweeter than those once shed at parting, for now they were tears of joy at their reunion.
80. In this way a war sundered the Gauls when it was fought under a cowardly commander and reunited them under a brave one. The council chambers and the commons of the cities were filled, and manufactures and financial revenues increased. Daughters were betrothed, young men got married, people travelled about, and holiday and festival gatherings regained their pristine splendour.
81. Thus, if this man were to be called the founder of those cities, the term would not be inappropriate, for some that had vanished he resurrected, to others that were almost depopulated he restored the inhabitants and granted them to have no such fear in future. So when winter came, no barbarian now sailed out on his usual forays. They stayed at home and ate their own stuff, not so much out of respect for agreements as of fear of war, since even those who had no treaty relations with us were warned to stay peaceful by the terror they anticipated.
82. And what of his activities in this peaceful time? He took counsel for the greatest of the islands under the sun, that lies surrounded by ocean.a He sent accountants there to supervise the expenditure that was nominally made upon military objectives but was in fact a source of revenue for the generals. He brought to heel those guilty of this misconduct, and he also did something else of much more importance and designed for the security of Gaul in particular.