ΕΡΓΑ ΚΑΙ ΗΜΕΡΑΙ
Μοῦσαι Πιερίηθεν, ἀοιδῇσι κλείουσαι, δεῦτε, Δί᾽ ἐννέπετε σφέτερον πατέρ᾽ ὑμνείουσαι, ὅν τε διὰ βροτοὶ ἄνδρες ὁμῶς ἄφατοί τε φατοί τε ῥητοί τ᾽ ἄρρητοί τε Διὸς μεγάλοιο ἕκητι. 5ῥέα μὲν γὰρ βριάει, ῥέα δὲ βριάοντα χαλέπτει, ῥεῖα δ᾽ ἀρίζηλον μινύθει καὶ ἄδηλον ἀέξει, ῥεῖα δέ τ᾽ ἰθύνει σκολιὸν καὶ ἀγήνορα κάρφει Ζεὺς ὑψιβρεμέτης ὃς ὑπέρτατα δώματα ναίει. κλῦθι ἰδὼν ἀιών τε, δίκῃ δ᾽ ἴθυνε θέμιστας 10τύνη· ἐγὼ δέ κε Πέρσῃ ἐτήτυμα μυθησαίμην.
οὐκ ἄρα μοῦνον ἔην Ἐρίδων γένος, ἀλλ᾽ ἐπὶ γαῖαν εἰσὶ δύω· τὴν μέν κεν ἐπαινήσειε νοήσας, ἡ δ᾽ ἐπιμωμητή· διὰ δ᾽ ἄνδιχα θυμὸν ἔχουσιν. ἡ μὲν γὰρ πόλεμόν τε κακὸν καὶ δῆριν ὀφέλλει, 15σχετλίη· οὔ τις τήν γε φιλεῖ βροτός, ἀλλ᾽ ὑπ᾽ ἀνάγκης ἀθανάτων βουλῇσιν Ἔριν τιμῶσι βαρεῖαν. τὴν δ᾽ ἑτέρην προτέρην μὲν ἐγείνατο Νὺξ ἐρεβεννή,
- 1-16 deest C, 1–42 deest ω4
- 1-10 ath. Praxiphanes Aristarchus Crates, om. libri a Praxiphane Pausania visi
WORKS AND DAYS
Muses, from Pieria, glorifying in songs, come here, tell in hymns of your father Zeus, through whom mortal men are unfamed and famed alike, and named and unnamed, by the will of great Zeus. For easily he strengthens, and easily he crushes the strong, easily he diminishes the conspicuous and increases the inconspicuous, and easily he straightens the crooked and withers the proud—high-thundering Zeus, who dwells in the loftiest mansions. Give ear to me, watching and listening, and straighten the verdicts with justice yourself;1 as for me, I will proclaim truths to Perses.
(11) So there was not just one birth of Strifes after all,2 but upon the earth there are two Strifes. One of these a man would praise once he got to know it, but the other is blameworthy; and they have thoroughly opposed spirits. For the one fosters evil war and conflict—cruel one, no mortal loves that one, but it is by necessity that they honor the oppressive Strife, by the plans of the immortals. But the other one gloomy Night bore first; and Cronus’ high-throned
- 1These requests are addressed to Zeus.
- 2This statement corrects the genealogy of Strife in Th 225.