ΓΑΛΗΝΟΥ ΘΡΑΣΥΒΟΥΛΟΣ [ΠΟΤΕΡΟΝ ΙΑΤΡΙΚΗΣ Η ΓΥΜΝΑΣΤΙΚΗΣ ΕΣΤΙ ΤΟ ΥΓΙΕΙΝΟΝ]1
1. 806KΟὐκ ἄλλα μέν, ὦ Θρασύβουλε, παραχρῆμα περὶ τοῦ προβληθέντος ὑπὸ σοῦ ζητήματος εἶπον, ἄλλα δὲ συγγράψασθαι τοῖσδε τοῖς ὑπομνήμασιν ἔχω· πάντως γάρ που γιγνώσκεις, ὡς ἀεί τε τὰ αὐτὰ περὶ τῶν αὐτῶν διεξέρχομαι καὶ ὡς εἰς2 οὐδὲν ἐπιχειρῶ λέγειν, ὧν οὔτε μέθοδον ἔμαθον οὔτ’ ἐγυμνασάμην πω κατ’ αὐτήν. ἀρχὴ τοίνυν εὑρέσεως οὐ τούτῳ μόνῳ τῷ νῦν προκειμένῳ σκέμματι τὸ γνῶναι, τί 807Kποτ’ ἐστὶ τὸ ζητούμενον, ἀλλὰ καὶ τοῖς ἄλλοις ἅπασιν. αὐτὸ δὲ δὴ τοῦτο τὸ γνῶναι διττόν ἐστιν· ἢ γὰρ τὴν ἔννοιαν μόνην τοῦ πράγματος ἢ καὶ τὴν οὐσίαν γιγνώσκομεν. ὅτῳ δ’ ἀλλήλων ταῦτα διαφέρει, γέγραπται μὲν ἐπὶ πλέον ἐν τοῖς περὶ ἀποδείξεως, ἵναπερ καὶ τὰς ἄλλας
GALEN, THRASYBULUS1 [ON WHETHER HYGIENE BELONGS TO MEDICINE OR GYMNASTICS]
1. On the inquiry you presented, Thrasybulus, I have not said anything offhand that is different to what I have written in these notes. You will know full well that in the matters I go over, I always try not to say anything I have not learned as a method nor yet put into practice in relation to this. Moreover, a beginning of discovery, not only in the issue now before us, 807Kbut also in all the others, is to know what is being sought at the time. Undoubtedly this same knowledge is twofold: we either know the concept of the matter alone, or we also know its essential nature.2 Wherein these things differ from each other, I have written about in greater detail in the work, On Demonstration,3
- 1Nothing is known of Thrasybulus, to whom this work now lost is dedicated. The pseudo-Galenic work, Opt. Sect., I.106–223K, is also dedicated to him.
- 2The pairing of the terms ἔννοια and οὐσία is generally rendered concept / essential substance—for the former, see Plato, Phaedo 76c, and Aristotle, Nicomachean Ethics 179b15; for the latter, see Plato, Phaedo 63D, and Aristotle, Metaphysics 1017b22, 1031b1.
- 3This was a major Galenic work now lost—see his Libr. Propr. XIX.41K.