LCL 546: 332-333
ΟΤΙ ΤΑΙΣ ΤΟΥ ΣΩΜΑΤΟΣ ΚΡΑΣΕΣΙΝ ΑΙ ΤΗΣ ΨΥΧΗΣ ΔΥΝΑΜΕΙΣ ΕΠΟΝΤΑΙ
1. 767KΤαῖς τοῦ σώματος κράσεσιν ἕπεσθαι τὰς δυνάμεις τῆς ψυχῆς, οὐχ ἅπαξ ἢ δὶς ἀλλὰ πάνυ πολλάκις, οὐδ’ ἐπ’ ἐμαυτοῦ μόνου βασανίσας τε καὶ πολυειδῶς ἐρευνήσας ἀλλ’ ἀπ’ ἀρχῆς μὲν ἅμα τοῖς διδασκάλοις, ὕστερον δὲ σὺν τοῖς ἀρίστοις φιλοσόφοις ἀληθῆ τε διὰ παντὸς εὗρον τὸν λόγον ὠφέλιμόν τε τοῖς κοσμῆσαι τὰς ἑαυτῶν ἐθέλουσι ψυχάς, ἐπειδήπερ [γάρ], ὡς διῆλθον ἐν τῇ Περὶ | 768Kτῶν ἐθῶν πραγματείᾳ, [καὶ] διὰ τῶν ἐδεσμάτων τε καὶ πομάτων ἔτι τε τῶν ὁσημέραι πραττομένων εὐκρασίαν1 ἐργαζόμεθα τῷ σώματι κἀκ ταύτης εἰς ἀρετὴν τῇ ψυχῇ συντελέσομεν, ὡς οἱ περὶ Πυθαγόραν τε καὶ Πλάτωνα καί τινες ἄλλοι τῶν παλαιῶν ἱστοροῦνται πράξαντες.
2. Ἀρχὴ δὲ παντὸς τοῦ μέλλοντος εἰρήσεσθαι λόγου
THE SOUL’S TRAITS DEPEND ON BODILY TEMPERAMENT
1. 767KΤhat the capacities of the soul follow the krasias of the body, I have not only put to the test myself and inquired into in many ways, and not just once or twice, but very often, from the beginning, along with the teachers and later with the best philosophers, I have found the argument true throughout and beneficial to those who wish to bring order to their own souls. After that, as I went over in the | 768Kwork On Customs,1 it is through both foods and drinks, and besides these the daily activities, we create eukrasia in the body and from this we shall bring completion to excellence of the soul, as the followers of Pythagoras and Plato and certain others of the ancients are recorded as doing.2
2. The beginning of the whole argument that is going
- 1On this work, not included in Kühn, see Müller, Preface xxxv–xxxvi, and also J. H. Mattock, “A Translation of the Arabic Epitome of Galen’s Book Peri ethon,” in S. M. Stern et al., Islamic Philosophy and the Islamic Tradition (Oxford, 1972), 236–60.
- 2The reference is presumably to dietary and other practices associated with the two schools. For another mention of the two men together, see also Galen’s De propriorum animi cuiuslibet affectuum dignotione et curatione, V.37–38K.