Pliny the Elder, tireless researcher and writer, is author of the encyclopedic Natural History, in 37 books, an unrivaled compendium of Roman knowledge.
The contents of the books are as follows. Book 1: table of contents of the others and of authorities; 2: mathematical and metrological survey of the universe; 3-6: geography and ethnography of the known world; 7: anthropology and the physiology of man; 8-11: zoology; 12-19: botany, agriculture, and horticulture; 20-27: plant products as used in medicine; 28-32: medical zoology; 33-37: minerals (and medicine), the fine arts, and gemstones.
The Loeb Classical Library edition of Natural History is in ten volumes.
- introduction vii
- bibliographical addendum (1989) viii
- Natural History
- index of people 653
- geographical index 661
- Volume I: Books 1-2 LCL 330
- Volume III: Books 8-11 LCL 353
- Volume IV: Books 12-16 LCL 370
- Volume V: Books 17-19 LCL 371
- Volume VI: Books 20-23 LCL 392
- Volume VII: Books 24-27 LCL 393
- Volume VIII: Books 28-32 LCL 418
- Volume IX: Books 33-35 LCL 394
- Volume X: Books 36-37 LCL 419