This bibliography includes basic texts, commentaries, and works of reference together with a brief selection of studies and interpretations in English which represent a variety of approaches to the Homeric poems. Works that deal solely or principally with the Iliad have been excluded.Critical Texts
- T. W. Allen (ed.): Homeri Opera (OCT), vols III 2 (Od. 1–12) and IV2 (Od. 13–24), Oxford 1917 and 1919.
- P. von der Mühll (ed.): Homeri Odyssea3 (Teubner), Stuttgart 1984.
- Wilhelm Dindorf, Scholia Graeca in Homeri Odysseam, Oxford 1885.
- W. W. Merry and J. Riddell: Homer’s Odyssey: Books I–XII, Oxford 1886.
- D. B. Monro: Homer’s Odyssey: Books XIII–XXIV, Oxford 1901 (with a copious and valuable appendix).
- W. B. Stanford: The Odyssey of Homer2, 2 volumes (1–12 and 13–24) , London 1959 and 1958, repr. with addenda 1971.
- Alfred Heubeck, Stephanie West, and J. B. Hainsworth: A Commentary on Homer’s Odyssey, vol. I (Introduction and Books 1–8), Oxford 1988.
- Alfred Heubeck and Arie Hoekstra: A Commentary on Homer’s Odyssey, vol. II (Introduction and Books 9–16), Oxford 1989.
- Joseph Russo, Manuel Fernández-Galiano, and Alfred Heubeck: A Commentary on Homer’s Odyssey, vol. III (Introduction and Books 17–24), Oxford 1992.
(The preceding three volumes constitute an English version of the six-volume Italian edition sponsored by the Fondazione Lorenzo Valla 1981–1986, which included a critical text and an Italian translation by G. Aurelio Privitera.)
- R. B. Rutherford: Homer: Odyssey Books XIX and XX, Cambridge 1992.
- A. F. Garvie: Homer: Odyssey Books VI–VIII, Cambridge 1994.
- Robert Fitzgerald, Homer: The Odyssey, New York 1961 (with commentary: Ralph Hexter, A Guide to the Odyssey, New York 1993).
- Richmond Lattimore, The Odyssey of Homer, New York 1965.
- Albert Cook, Homer: The Odyssey, New York 1967, repr. 1993 (with a selection of essays).
- Allen Mandelbaum, The Odyssey of Homer, Berkeley and Los Angeles 1990.