serious disagreement between MSS or editors. The fullest authoritative discussion on the text is in the prefaces to the two Oxford volumes, while S. E. Stout’s Scribe and Critic at work in Pliny’s Letters describes the methods of textual evaluation which produced his own text in 1962.
- R. A. B. Mynors: Letters I-X. Oxford, 1963 (Oxford Classical Text).
- XII Panegyrici Latini. Oxford, 1964 (Oxford Classical Text).
- M. Schuster, revised R. Hanslik: Letters and Panegyricus. Teubner, 1958.
- S. E. Stout: Letters I–X. Indiana, 1962.
- A-M. Guillemin: Lettres I–IX (with notes and French translation) 3 vols. Budé edition, Paris, 1927–8.
- M. Durry: Lettres X et Panégyrique (with notes and French translation). Budé edition, Paris, 1959.
- M. Durry: Pline le Jeune: Panégyrique de Trajan. Paris, 1938.
- E. G. Hardy: Pliny’s Correspondence with Trajan. London, 1889.
- A-M. Guillemin: Notes in Budé edition (see above).
- A. N. Sherwin-White: The Letters of Pliny. Oxford, 1966. (S-W)
The following lists are selective, containing generally accessible books and recent articles in which information relative to Pliny can be found.